Wednesday, August 12, 2009

School.... again.... ? who would have ever thought.

I'll put it out there - I'm looking to go back to school....

I'm happy, scared, frustrated. I have NO clue what to study...

I REGRET not trying harder in high school. I don't have my sciences - just the stoner route Science 14/24.... NO Chem/Phys/Bio 10, 20 or 30... So if I were to go a medical/scientific route it would be years of upgrading... which I have no intention of doing unless we win the lottery!!!

I have my G.E.D., and I graduated from SAIT with my Marketing Diploma... That was in 1995. In my opinion, pretty much everything I learned is A) out of my memory, and B) somewhat obsolete. Before graduating, I was actually an Accounting major, but I couldn't keep my core course GPA high enough to go on to a designation, that's when I switched to marketing.

So there I was, a college graduate. And what did I do? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. I kept working as a receptionist for Re/Max.

W.T.F. was I thinking?!?! Why didn't anyone push me to go fourth and try to start the career I just spent all that time & money on? ^%^$*!!! =( I would have been better off spending all those years and money TRAVELING, seeing the world! Ug.


Now here I am, almost 35 and I feel like I have nothing going for me (career wise)... What do I want to do when I grow up? Well - I can't even guess at the position or industry, but all I will strive for is GOOD money and FLEX time so I can be with Quinn before and after school and lots during the summer months...

My stomach is in knots trying to even wrap my head around all this. I will most likely have to work part-time to...


The ultimate goal, excluding money and Quinn time, is that I will have a darn good paying job in 2-4 years - good enough to support our family while Lawrence goes to school. So while I am in school - Lair will be upgrading, so he can get some higher education too.


The next 4-8 years is going to be tough.


We need a money tree!






I'm sure it will all work out. Instead of looking down the road, perhaps I'll start by opening the front door.

3 comments:

colour treegirl said...

It will all be worth it in the end. The next few years will be tough with money but you will be able to do it. Mike and I are on the downward slope of that curve and it's great to be able to see the end. Picking the path is the hardest part but something will catch your heart and all you have to do is walk it. Good luck!

Jo-Ann said...

Have you ever thought of teaching? That would give you the hours you are looking for and it can be a rewarding job. I'm not sure how long it would take to get a degree, but it might be worth looking into. Good luck!

Ursula said...

Check out SAIT and maybe one of the smaller universities in your area. I know that NAIT has a PRE-Tech program that is a year long and gets you upgraded. I have a few friends that have done it and done well. One is now an X-ray tech (good Money, work casual so flex hours) and Concordia (here in Edmonton) has a similar type of program to get you on par with getting in to University. There are at least 2 people in my class that have done the pre-tech program so anything is possible :)

Also, because you are oh so very old (Just kidding) you may be able to go in as a mature student, do a couple courses and afterwards be evaluated based on the marks you get.

First step is to figure out what you might like to do, second step is to go to the institution and see what they recommend.

call me if you want to hash it out

lots of love,

Ursula