Monday, August 3, 2009

Motion Notion - Quinn's first Electronic Music Festival

We got away for a fantastic mini vacation in mid July.

We headed up to Edmonton on July 15, then went to Bent River Ranch near Drayton Valley to attend an Electronic Music Festival, MOTION NOTION with Chosen family, and the best part was, we had QUINN with us!

Ursula was volunteering so we were able to get in super early with her. We had a great camping spot which easily accommodated the 10 tents, 1 tent-trailer, 1 out-fitters tent and 2 sun shelters.

Through out the day our friends arrived. So nice to be with everyone. The kids (Quinn, Max, Jasmine) were excited to see their aunties & uncles. Lair & I were super excited as Alex Gray (Munki) made his way from Lloyd to attend with us! It was awesome getting to share this experience with him.

After a good dinner, we kept the kids up later so they could see the party at dusk. They all had ear protection, glow sticks/ropes and light sabres. Quinn liked all the lights but I think he was a little over whelmed by the tons of people. He asked to go to bed, so I took him back and tucked him in. Lair ventured out to the party while I sat back at camp with Karen & David and others who came and went through out the night.



Friday we spent the day by/in the river beside the beach stage. The river was chilly, but bearable, though the farther out you went the stronger the current. There was a Hooping 101 class on the beach too! Lots of fun and I learned a few basic tricks.

Friday night was mine & Ursula's night to go shake a leg. Again, we brought the kids down at dusk and again Quinn wanted to go to bed, since it was Lair's night in, he decided to turn in early with little man and get a good nights sleep.

Sleep?..... this was not an option for us! We headed to main stage once the Psy-trance begun and we danced the night away and danced the sun up, and proudly, the two MOMS were literally, the LAST two people dancing on main stage when they finally shut it down. Woo-hoo! High-5 Ursula! So much fun!!!
This is us in the final moments of the stage before it shut down. GO MOMS!

I didn't want to wake up Lair & Quinn when I went to bed so Jo-anne offered me to sleep in their tent trailer (THANK YOU!). So I slept the morning away and met everyone down at the beach stage around noon.

There was an advanced hooping class, but I decided not to attend as I haven't mastered the basics yet. So instead ended up spending most of the afternoon in the middle of the river with Kevin and people who came and went.

Lair, Quinn and I went to main stage in the mid afternoon for a downtempo set. It was lovely! Quinn played in the sand that was the dancefloor while Lair visited with friends and I danced. It will forever be a memory of mine dancing around him, oblivious to the beauty around him!



Saturday Night: We wanted to take the kids down earlier this time (8pm) so they could play & dance a little longer, but the skies opened up and it poured HARD for about an hour.... when it finally stopped, we put on our rubber boots and headed down to main stage. This time we had an additional 6 kid-letts with us, so a little army of little ones LOL... Atom Tobin was on.... his set/music, IMHO sucked... like - a lot! And even Quinn said "Mom... (frown)... this is NOT the music we listen too!!" lol He didn't want to stick around. What can I say, my boy likes is 4/4 beat! So we left and I put Quinn to bed.

It was Lair's night out, I went to bed around midnight.


Sunday we all slowly started to pack. I went to the beach with Rita and the kids for awhile, then we all slowly made our departure. I was a bit emotional as I was thinking of fond memories of Sean.... How I miss him. =(

We brought Munki back to Ursula's where his friends picked him up to take him home. What a lovely surprise, Justyn came down! It was nice to get a good hug and actually sit in the same room with him (v.s. chatting on facebook). Unfortunately, we were a tired bunch in need of food and sleep.

After a great meal of Vietnamese and a movie, we all, including the kids, crashed hard!

Monday Lair, Quinn and I made our way back to Calgary.

Motion Notion with the kids was a fantastic experience and one which I was so happy to have Quinn a part of. Lair & I met at a party; it kind of closed the circle having our son attend his first party. <3

2 comments:

Ursula said...

Loved MoNo with the kids!!! We had so much fun, they already are asking about next year!!!

Scott said...

Glad to hear you all had a great time!