Friday, September 18, 2009

School

Lair has done lots of footwork with Devry - in fact, he's officially been accepted as a mature student, though during this process he's second guessing the choice of school and looking at his options with Mount Royal and not short cutting his upgrading. I am very proud of him.

Looks like he will get his G.E.D. via 'life experience' so that's an easy win for him. However, he needs to upgrade his English and Math.

He is going to cram and take an English refresher course and Challenge the English 30 Exam. We are confident he will easily attain the 60% minimum required for post secondary studies.

Math on the other hand. He more or less needs to take Math 10/20/30. Yikes, this may take some time! Thank heavens for Dwayne! He has offered to tutor Lawrence. He believes with some major dedication, he can bring Lair up to speed to challenge the Math 30 exam as well.

So we are very excited to see how the next year pans out.

In a perfect world, Lair will starts some classes at Mount Royal in Sept 2010. But it may be as late as 2011.


I don't think I will be going back to school quite yet. I have no real desire. So, if I can land a well paying job that I am happy at, I will keep on going and maybe revisit the idea of school in another 5 years?

1 comment:

Ursula said...

get Lair to check into the upgrading programs that some of the unis might offer. Most of them will guarantee him a spot if he passes everything. I know many people I went to concordia with did the program and were able to get in and finish a degree

http://ucep.concordia.ab.ca/

I would think that there is a college in Calgary that offers a similar type of program. Also, I know he won't be fond of it but get him to get and use his Metis status. They will throw money at him to go to school, which really helps you guys out as it will be enough that you can afford to live on one income while he does it. Nevermind that the acceptable GPAs have tendency to drop for admissions into lots of different programs.